Friday, April 30, 2010

Retiring

Today I helped send off to retirement an old friend. It was bittersweet. While he worked at my workplace for 38 years, I had known him for only 10. A quarter of his work life. It isn't often you come across a man like he is. Kind, humble, thoughtful, generous and on and on. I am sure he will stop in from time to time but I will miss him. It got me thinking and wondering what my retirement will look like. What will it feel like to be saying goodbye to friends and co-workers you have spent 1/4 to 1/3 of your life with. It has to leave a hole.

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJune 16, 2010

    Yes, retiring from the paid workforce does leave a hole - but the world is waiting for you - family, parish, community - and they recognize the hole before you do. Before you have a chance to "feel" the hole, it's filled to the brim again....What a great blessing!

    ReplyDelete